Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Half Day Cafe...Try it for a Neighborhood Breakfast

I have a new friend in the neighborhood.  At least I'm trying to be friendly.  He seems a little scared.  I know Neil doesn't like him eating our flowers, so I'm attempting to discourage him.


The bustling Half Day Cafe
      Every neighborhood needs a restaurant or café for gathering.  For the Cincinnati suburb of Wyoming, that place is the Half Day Cafe.  Eric and I were there late morning on a Saturday and the place was pretty full, swelling to capacity soon after.  We've been there a couple of times prior to the blog, so we were anxious
to compare our visits.  Service has always been friendly and that continued as we were treated as regulars.  The interior is painted two tones of calming yellows accented with blues and earthtones.  There's a mixture of tables, comfortable booths, and counter service.  It's an intimate and welcoming space that we found rather noisy on that particular half day.

Pork Loin Sandwich
Eggplant and Zucchini Sandwich
      In the past, I've had the Egg Strata which is a casserole of egg, bread, sausage, cheese, and caramelized onions.  Today, I opted for the Pork Loin Sandwich grilled on white bread with apple butter, caramelized onion, and provolone.  Eric decided on the Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Sandwich with provolone and roasted red pepper spread grilled on sunflower wheat bread.  The sandwiches are served with a veggie cup and ranch dip with tortilla chips.  I was put off by the musty smell of the vase of flowers on the table.  A nice touch but I wasn't liking the scent.  My pork was pretty bland so I added salt (something I rarely do) and the flavors came to life a little more.  Eric thought his eggplant was too greasy.  We decided that this must be more of a breakfast spot as we noticed the "Voted Best Brunch by metromix" sign on the counter.  Comparing it to our other visits, I liked the Egg Strata much better.  Eric felt that he's given it three tries and it's just not for him.  I'd be up for going back for breakfast at some point, so we'll let you know if that happens.   We do give it high marks for trying new takes on some simple recipes.

Half Day Cafe is open just that...half a day.  
Half Day Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: