Saturday, July 9, 2011

Breaking Bread at Broken Rocks Café and Bakery

Interior of Broken Rocks Café and Bakery

      I decided to take a little detour to Wooster, OH on my way home to visit my cousin Tom and his partner Rolland.  They suggested meeting at Broken Rocks Café and Bakery, an urban chic spot in the center of town, which felt like it was in the middle of a major city.  The look was industrial with exposed brick walls and vents with lots of wood being
offset with bright artwork...very inviting.  The main menu and seasonal specials were internationally inspired and included sandwiches, pizzas, pastas, salads, and steaks.  A nice selection of wines was offered tableside or at the bar.  Open for breakfast, the menu was highlighted with their Cinnamon Rolls baked fresh daily. 
   
      We were there for a late lunch.  Rolland decided to go with the Chicken and Avocado Sandwich dressed with a green chili mayonnaise and served with coleslaw.  Tom chose the Brisket Sandwich, which was topped with their homemade BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, and coleslaw on house bread and accompanied by a side of potato salad.  We hadn't seen one another in a while so there was a lot of catching up to do.  So much so that we didn't discuss how their sandwiches were.  I guess the pictures will have to suffice.  

Chicken and Avocado Sandwich
Brisket Sandwhich
My Chicken Salad Sandwich was made with free range chicken, toasted walnuts, celery, onion, and raisins served on focaccia with orange slices.  There was a lot of texture and flavor and the bread was delicate and fresh.  

Chicken Salad Sandwich
Tom saved half of his sandwich to make a selection from the substantial dessert list.  He chose the Affogato, vanilla ice cream doused in espresso.  For that, he did express satisfaction!  I took two cinnamon rolls for the road to share with Eric later.  They were on the doughy side with a lot of cinnamon filling.  I found them reminiscent of my neighbor's grandma’s recipe when I was growing up.

Cinnamon Roll
      Broken Rocks has a varied enough menu that one could visit on a regular basis without becoming bored, although I'm sure favorites are bound to surface.  I know I'll definitely go back to try more when visiting the area.

http://www.brokenrockscafe.com  
Broken Rocks Cafe & Bakery on Urbanspoon

Neil's back home.  I know I act as though I don't like it when he gives me hugs, but I really missed them!

No comments: