Saturday, August 20, 2011

Traipsing Through the Garden for Our Lunch

      Angela introduced me to Through the Garden when we were working together a few years ago.  I've recently been consulting in the area so when Karen, a fellow designer, asked me to join her and her sister and brother-in-law there, I was more than ready. 

The Inviting Interior of Through the Garden
      It had been a while since my last visit, but nothing had changed.  It was still the freestanding square building that sits back from Kenwood Road—easy to pass by with its slanting oval sign on the building. The interior salutes the 80's with dining at the counter or at tables, and a bar in the back.  It's a pleasant space, being nothing more than it needs to be.  There's also seasonal outdoor dining in the back with the adjacent garden of fresh picks for the kitchen.  

The Backyard Garden
      We were there for lunch, seated ourselves, and proceeded to peruse the extensive menu.  Actually, the lunch and dinner menus are pretty much the same (including prices), with some added
entrées and pasta selections at night.  I recalled the stir fry dishes from my previous visits.  Like I said, nothing much had changed.  I noticed the French Dip, which doesn't appear often any more so that was going to be my pick.  Karen liked the Mediterranean Chicken Salad, and Kathy and Ron ordered the Blackened Chicken Caesar Wrap.  Kathy also wanted to try the French Onion Soup.  Our server approved of our selections.  

French Onion Soup







      The onion soup came promptly.  It was steaming with a generous amount of cheese coating the crock.  Kathy confirmed the good flavor.  Our sandwiches and salad closely followed the soup's completion.  This is a place that knows lunches need to keep moving.  

Chicken Caesar Wrap
Mediterranean Chicken Salad




















































The wraps were plump, and the salad appeared fresh with a nice portion of sliced chicken breast on top.  They all were pleased with their orders.  Karen considered the Mediterranean salad a favorite of hers, and especially liked the dressing.  

French Dip
My French dip was on a hoagie roll with sautéed onions and peppers covered with melted provolone cheese.  The roast beef was tender and lean, and the au jus was a tasty stock from the beef.  The sandwiches came with a side and all of us chose the Roasted Potato Salad.  Karen recommended it, but the rest of us found it a little bland and in need of salt. 

      Through the Garden is a solid and consistent restaurant in the Blue Ash area.  I do feel it works better (and is more comfortable) as a lunch spot than for dinner, but that comment comes only from my experiences there for evening meals many years ago.

Through the Garden on Urbanspoon



I traipse through our garden on a daily basis, but my food doesn't look that good!

2 comments:

FoodHussy said...

I went once for dinner a couple years ago and it was AWFUL - but yes - it did seem like it might be better for lunch. I just don't live or work in the area so I never went back.

Dexter said...

WIth so many great restaurants in Cincinnati, it's hard to give one a second chance once you've had a bad experience... especially if it's not convenient. I think you would find the lunches better.